McAndrews has a long and successful history of representing clients in the chemical industry. Our knowledge of chemistry makes the difference: many McAndrews attorneys have degrees in chemical engineering and industry experience; others have advanced degrees in fields such as analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or organic chemistry.
Our clients in the chemical industry turn to us for patent portfolio development, licensing, patent preparation and prosecution, freedom-to-operate opinions, patent litigation, contested patent office proceedings, arbitration, and more.
Examples of our success for clients in the chemical industry include:
- Obtaining preliminary and permanent injunctive relief, as well as a multimillion dollar damages award, in favor of a worldwide manufacturer and processor of liquid, powdered and granulated forms of iron oxide.
- Securing a jury verdict of more than $80 million for infringement of a chemical process patent.
- Obtaining affirmance before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, on behalf of a patent applicant for a chemical process, for failure of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to abide by the Administrative Procedure Act.
- Winning successive trial victories in the International Trade Commission invalidating a patent claim for a chemical process for manufacturing R-134a.
- Preparing and implementing robust patent, trademark and design patent portfolios for two industry-leading chemical and chemical additive companies.
- Securing favorable settlement for a patent holder on a patent infringement claim on petroleum refining technology, involving payments of $9 million plus future royalties.
- Protecting and enhancing the intellectual property assets of an international licensing program for one of the world's leading petrochemical companies.
- Strategically positioning, developing, and enforcing the chemical portfolio of a leading global chemical intermediates company.
Representative Chemical Areas Served:
Pharmaceutical Active Ingredients
Water Treatment Chemicals