At McAndrews, we believe that diversity in backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives has a positive impact on our work. Under the guidance of our Diversity Committee, we support initiatives such as our Diversity in Patent Law Fellowship, Women’s Group, Professional Development Committee, mentoring programs, and flexible work schedules.
In addition, McAndrews has adopted a policy that allows our attorneys to credit to their billable hours up to 50 hours per annum spent on DE&I programs. Activities eligible under the policy include:
- Leading and organizing DE&I events within the firm or external legal organizations
- Recruiting underrepresented professionals to the firm or profession
- Mentoring or sponsoring underrepresented professionals
- Organizing and presenting DE&I CLE activities
- Preparing and participating in client-related DE&I activity
- Any other DE&I activity that is approved on a case-by-case basis by the firm’s Diversity Committee
Our firm’s attorneys have supported and served in leadership positions with many diversity-focused organizations and bar associations, including the following:
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Diversity Action Group
- Arab-American Bar Association
- Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago
- Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago, Inc.
- The Chicago Committee
- Chinese American Bar Association
- Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
- Diverse Attorney Pipeline Program
- Filipino American Lawyers Association of Chicago
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago (“LAGBAC”)
- LINK Unlimited Scholars
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Law Students Association
- National Bar Association, Pipeline/Outreach Committee
- National Black Law Students Association
- National Latina/o Law Student Association
- The North American South Asian Law Students Association
- Puerto Rican Bar Association
- Safe Families for Children and LYDIA Home Association
For more information, contact Diversity Partner Sharon Hwang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The McAndrews Social Impact and Diversity Report showcases our external and internal commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as the many worthy and inspirational organizations and initiatives we are proud to support.
McAndrews Achieves Inaugural Midsize Mansfield Rule Certification Plus Status, Highlighting the Firm’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
McAndrews is thrilled to be recognized as one of 26 firms that have achieved Midsize Mansfield certification by Diversity Lab, and one of only 16 firms to achieve Certification Plus status. Modeled after the original Mansfield Rule, this initiative certifies midsize law firms that have established diversified candidate pools through their consideration of historically underrepresented lawyers for significant leadership positions and key advancement opportunities. Certification Plus status indicates that, in addition to meeting or exceeding the consideration requirements, the firm has successfully achieved 30 percent diverse representation in current leadership roles, formal client pitches, and staffing on key matters.