Six McAndrews Attorneys Named to the World’s Leading Patent Professionals Annual Listing
CHICAGO, IL – July 18, 2017 – McAndrews, Held & Malloy announced today that founding partner and Chairman Timothy J. Malloy, along with shareholder and firm president Robert A. Surrette, and shareholders Christopher V. Carani, Herbert D. Hart III, Edward A. Mas II, and Wilhelm L. Rao, were featured in IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2017 – a unique guide that identifies the top patent professionals in key jurisdictions around the globe. The six attorneys, who are recommended in the guide’s litigation and prosecution categories, “understand what it takes to win patent infringement actions in any forum.”
Whether arguing a ground-breaking case at the Supreme Court, or representing a client in a post-grant proceeding at the US Patent Trial and Appeal Board, McAndrews “never cuts corners in the planning stages, is quick to maneuver when circumstances change, and is constantly thinking about closing arguments at trial,” according to the firm’s profile in the 2017 IAM Patent 1000 guide.
The IAM Patent 1000 has become the definitive directory exclusively dedicated to identifying the world’s leading patent services providers. The extensive research process for this guide was conducted over several months by a team of full-time analysts, and involved more than 1,700 interviews with patent specialists across the globe. Legal and attorney firms and individual practitioners qualify for inclusion in the IAM Patent 1000 upon receiving sufficient positive feedback from market sources.
While McAndrews itself is consistently ranked year after year on the IAM Patent 1000, the individual attorneys recommended in this year’s guide include:
- Timothy J. Malloy, who is nationally recognized for his intellectual property litigation successes, and has been involved in numerous multimillion dollar verdicts, awards, and settlements and has served as lead counsel in trials throughout the country. At the firm, Malloy – an “expert trial lawyer” – “serves as a mentor” for the firm’s “dynamic team of litigators.”
- Robert A. Surrette, an integral part of the team serving Stryker, for which the firm earned a Supreme Court victory that helped shape the law on enhanced damages and willfulness. Surrette “is entering the prime of his career and his practice is skyrocketing on both the litigation and transactional fronts.”
- Christopher V. Carani, an international “thought leader on design patents” who works for one of the world’s premier consumer electronics companies. Carani is currently serving as the editor in chief for a first-of-its-kind book that addresses the complex and critical issue of functionality and scope of protection in the context of design rights.
- Herbert D. Hart III, a “post-grant genius” who is primarily responsible for growing the firm’s post-grant practice. He recently authored the amicus brief for the American Intellectual Property Law Association in Cuozzo Speed Technologies v Lee.
- Edward A. Mas II, a “veteran trial and appellate lawyer who stands in the shoes of clients in order to drive business resolutions to their disputes.” Mas has been at the forefront of the firm’s relationship with Abbott Labs for nearly 20 years.
- Wilhelm L. Rao, “an attorney you can rely on in difficult situations.” Rao is known and respected for taking into account his client’s business goals when discussing or recommending an approach to a dispute, which may or may not include litigation.
About the IAM Patent 1000
The IAM Patent 1000 is a standalone publication that identifies individual and firm expertise in all major areas of patent law and practice. Through an extensive research process conducted by a team of highly qualified, full-time analysts, the publication identifies the top patent practitioners, as well as leading patent law and attorney firms, in 48 of the world’s most important jurisdictions and 18 US states.
About McAndrews, Held & Malloy
McAndrews, Held & Malloy boasts one of the most highly regarded teams of intellectual property attorneys, agents and technology specialists in the United States. Founded in 1988, the firm offers deep bench strength in matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and unfair competition. McAndrews attorneys have underlying scientific-based degrees and extensive prior experience in technology and IP-focused professions, and they routinely handle cases that involve innovative and cutting-edge technologies in specialized industries. While best known for their record of litigation successes, the firm also offers services in IP procurement, patent interferences, trademark oppositions and cancellations, IP/technology opinions and investigations, global portfolio management, development and licensing, M&A support, due diligence, design rights and joint ventures. Clients include multi-national corporations, Fortune 500 companies, startups and world-renowned universities. For more information, visit www.mcandrews-ip.com.