Thomas J. Wimbiscus
Thomas J. Wimbiscus, a shareholder with McAndrews, Held & Malloy, has more than thirty years of experience and practices in all areas of intellectual property litigation, as well as the acquisition and management of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret protection. He has appeared in over 90 litigations and lead counsel in over 50 IPR's.
Thomas was designated a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The LCA is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American attorneys – based on effectiveness and accomplishments, in both litigation and trial work. Thomas was named as “recommended” intellectual property (patent) counsel by an independent, global survey conducted by Practical Law Company (PLC Global Counsel 3000, Choose Your Counsel Wisely (7th – 20th eds.) (now called PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook)) for the years 2002 – 2015. Thomas was also named as a prominent practitioner by the Practical Law Company in PLC’s Cross-Border IP in Business Transactions Handbook for 2008-2015. Thomas was also named as a “Leading Lawyer” (2004 - 2015, awarded to fewer than five percent of licensed Illinois lawyers) by independent survey.
His litigation successes include numerous multi-million dollar awards and settlements, as well as patent infringement victories before the U.S. International Trade Commission. His experience also encompasses the acquisition and maintenance of patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Thomas has served as co-trial counsel in a four-week jury trial resulting in a patent infringement award of over $80 million with a finding of willful infringement (reversed in part and remanded). He has worked in such diverse technologies as prodrug and other pharmaceutical technologies; semiconductors for cellular telephones, Wi-Fi and GPS technologies; oil refining; polyurethane, surfactant, and other technologies in the chemical arts; alternative fuels (including biodiesel); biotechnologies; and medical devices including implantable cardiac defibrillators, pacemakers, and balloon angioplasty catheters.
- Co-trial counsel in four week jury trial, resulting in $80 million award (reversed in part and remanded).
- Lead trial counsel in Shire LLC, Shire Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Shire USA, Inc. v. KemPharm, Inc., et al, patent ownership/antitrust, case settled on confidential terms.
- Co-lead trial counsel in multiple patent litigations (involving eight patents) on behalf of Broadcom in Broadcom Corp. v. Qualcomm, Inc., relating to semiconductors for cellular telephones. (Multi-suit campagin settled for $891 million).
- Lead trial counsel in Ashley Furniture Industries Inc v. LG Interiors LLC et al, patent and copyright infringement lawsuit filed in the Central District of California. Defendants agreed to cease sales of the products at issue (August 2014).
- Lead counsel in successful appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, In re Stepan Co., No. 2010-1261 (Oct. 2011).
- Lead trial counsel in two sequential trial victories, In re Certain Processes for the Manufacture of R-134a (otherwise known as 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane), Int’l Trade Comm’n Inv. No. 337-TA-623; patent infringement; representing Chinese and domestic respondents.
- Lead counsel in Lanham Act trial on behalf of Ashley Furniture, Industries against Laura Ashley, Inc. and Laura Ashley Holdings, plc. (Confidential Arbitration Award).
- Lead counsel in over fifty inter partes review proceedings.
- Lead counsel in trade dress infringement victory.
- U.S. Patent Reform Bill Passes, Representing New Costs and Opportunities, The Rose Sheet, pgs. 10-12, September 26, 2011
- Royalty Analysis: Litigation v. Real Life, The Patent Lawyer Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1, Spring 2006
- The Right To Copy – and Use – Unprotected Product Designs Is Alive And Well, Law Journal Newsletters, December 2005
- Speaker, MIP Global IP Innovation Summit, Shanghai, China 2014
- Speaker, McAndrews IP Symposium, Best Practices for Inter Partes Review Proceedings, 2014
- Speaker, 57th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, John Marshall Law School - February 22, 2013
- Lecturer, Licensing Executive Society (LES), Chicago
- U.S. Patent Law for European Patent Practitioners, U.S. and EPO Patent Law Update Symposium, Munich, Germany – 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- U.S. Patent Law Reform Update, Linus Pauling Biotech / Pharma Symposium – May 1, 2010
- Global Portfolio Management & Cost Saving Strategies, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC) – January 13, 2010
Areas of Practice
- Electronics & Computer Technology
- Industrial & Mechanical
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
Bar Admissions / Registrations
- Various U.S. District Courts
- Various Appellate Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Illinois, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Illinois, B.S. Chemistry, with honors