11 McAndrews Attorneys Named to the IAM Patent 1000
Christopher V. Carani, Troy Groetken, Herb Hart, David Headrick, Sharon Hwang, Debbie Laughton, Ed Mas, Pete McAndrews, Wil Rao, Bob Surrette, and Tom Wimbiscus are featured in IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2021.
The guide states that McAndrews “can be relied on for the right steer on any patent matter and for cogent, all-around strategic IP planning. The boutique has a flair for litigation and trial work, which is the métier of many leading individuals, including seasoned advocates.”
While McAndrews itself is consistently ranked year after year on the IAM Patent 1000, the individual attorneys recommended in this year’s guide are listed below:
- Christopher V. Carani – “(T)he set’s celebrated designs doyen.”
- Troy Groetken – “Multi-jurisdictional work is also meat and drink to Troy Groetken, who supports big-name life sciences clients wherever they need him and gets results that have a business-transformative effect.”
- Herb Hart – “Many of the lawyers here have played a hand in the firm’s post-grant success, and all of them benefit from the presence of Herbert Hart – an invaluable consultant with a profound practical and academic understanding of PTAB proceedings.”
- David Headrick – “Headrick – who has billion-dollar disputes on his CV – is brilliant at marshalling sprawling suits: he recently brought five inter partes review petitions on behalf of RTI Surgical challenging more than 100 claims of LifeNet’s composite spinal bone graft and soft tissue graft patents on 32 grounds, and successfully staying a litigation filed by LifeNet just seven or so months earlier.”
- Sharon Hwang – “Executive committee member Hwang masters all elements of her cases to gain an advantage when it’s time to stand up and present.”
- Debbie Laughton – “Invaluable contributions to the contentious effort come from numerous others for whom the ‘all-rounder’ description fits neatly. Among these is Deborah Laughton, who earns her IAM Patent 1000 stripes for the first time this year: She’s a key member of a client-friendly group of excellent prosecution professionals. She is smart from a tactical perspective and her work is of a high standard and cost effective.’”
- Ed Mas – “Mas is distinguished by his energy, tenacity and Federal Circuit expertise – all of which make the difference in the toughest disputes. He has been representing Abbott in litigation against Fischell, with various filings and successes – including in an inter partes review – yielding a settlement.”
- Pete McAndrews – “Procuring, enforcing and defending valuable patent rights, Pete McAndrews is in the thick of all the action, but shines as a global portfolio manager for leading names in medical equipment, semiconductors and other areas”.
- Wil Rao – “(H)as an international reputation for quality, founded on his foresighted strategic advice flavored by unique litigation and prosecution insights. Rao recently handled a complex cross-border litigation with related PTAB proceedings alongside Christopher Carani.”
- Bob Surrette – “President of the firm Surrette litigates with poise both across the IP spectrum and at all stages of a matter: in the preparation phases, in court and in post-trial settings.”
- Tom Wimbiscus – “Wimbiscus’ caseload is also typically high value, which is testament to the trust placed in him; his PTAB abilities are extremely well regarded.”